How to protect your hair on vacation – Guide for men
While the holidays represent the best time for body and mind to relax, most of the time hair suffers because it receives the least amount of attention. Most people don’t realize the extent of the damage until after they return from vacation, and there’s not much to do. That’s why it’s essential to know how to protect hair from prolonged exposure to heat, swimming, and lack of regular styling.
In this guide, I’ve compiled several tips for men to help you maintain great hair while on vacation to have less damaged hair after the vacation.
How to protect your hair on vacation
1. Get a holiday-friendly haircut
Before going on vacation, start by getting a haircut. The haircut should be easy to maintain and should look good. Besides getting a haircut, it is also essential to do a hair repair and deep conditioning treatment so that your hair is in the best condition.
Here are some party-friendly styles you should consider:
- Fade cut buzz
- The skin fades
- man bun
- Thorny locks with an undercut
- Smooth back
- Short or clean shaven
- cornrow braid
The rule of thumb is to avoid a hairstyle that takes time to set up or a style with sharp edges and lines.
2. Moisturize your hair before and during the flight
If you don’t prepare your hair properly before flying, you will arrive with dry, frizzy and damaged hair. The cabin has one of the worst hair conditions. The high altitude and the air circulation in the cabin dry out the hair. Add that to static electricity and nylon seat covers, and your hair is a mess.
Here’s how to protect your hair when traveling by plane:
- Moisturize and condition hair before flying.
- If you have long hair, consider braiding it immediately after washing it while it’s still damp.
- For very long hair, wrap your hair using a silk scarf.
- Stay hydrated during the flight.
- Refresh after the flight
3. Protect your hair when swimming
Whether you swim in the pool or at sea, it is essential to protect your hair against chlorine or salt water. Hair becomes dehydrated, dry and tangled when exposed to salt water. The damage is even worse if the hair is dyed, dry, delicate or chemically treated.
On the other hand, the chlorine content of the pool extracts the natural oils from the hair and scalp. This causes breakage and split ends and leaves the scalp dry. Here are some things you should do before swimming:
- Soak hair in fresh water before and after getting out of the pool.
- Apply natural oils such as coconut or olive oil to add another layer of protection.
- Use a moisturizing swim conditioner that contains dimethicone.
- Apply a water-resistant SPF to lock in moisture.
4. Carry your hair products
When traveling, take your hair products with you to avoid using new hair products, which can damage your hair on vacation. Be sure to bring shampoo, conditioner, and your favorite oils.
Also, keep checking the hair for any signs of damage and remedy to prevent further damage. Unless it’s essential, avoid going to a stylist, but if you do, explain what you want. Here are some grooming essentials you should consider packing on your vacation:
- Conditioner and leave-in conditioner
- Dry shampoo
- Pomade, cream, wax or lacquer
- Thermo-protective spray
Since there’s a lot to carry, the trick is to get small travel bottles so you only carry what you need.
5. Repair hair after vacation
If the body and mind will be relaxed when you return from vacation, this may not be the case for your hair and your scalp. There are a few things you can do to fix your holiday hair.
- Use a clarifying shampoo to remove product buildup.
- Go for a haircut and ask your hairdresser to trim brittle and split ends.
- Get a deep conditioning and hydrating treatment to hydrate hair.
- Be gentle when washing and combing, as the hair will be weaker
- If hair is bleached in the sun, use a toner to refresh the look
- Monitor the hair closely for the next few weeks for any signs of damage and repair it accordingly.
- Avoid chemical treatments and excessive heat until hair has recovered.
There you have it, practical advice to help you prepare your hair for the summer holidays and how to maintain a beautiful hair. This will ensure that your hair is not in bad shape when you return to your vacation. Remember to have a balanced diet and stay hydrated since water represents up to 25% of hair composition.