Afraid of damaged hair due to fading? Priyanka Chopra’s mother Madhu Chopra shares helpful tips
Madhu Chopra Shares Tips For Treating Damaged Hair Photo credit: Instagram
Well, you chose to color your hair and it must have gone through a lot of bleaching before you could post these Instagram worthy photos. The days have passed and your hair has lost its usual shine leaving only bleached hair on your head and now you are wondering how to care for your damaged hair from fade.
To understand the damage caused by hair discoloration and how to best treat it, we have Priyanka Chopra Jonas’ mother, Dr. Madhu Chopra, esthetician by profession and General Manager of Studio Aesthetique, sharing some helpful tips. She said: âHair damage from bleach is a common occurrence. To understand how this damage occurs, you should know that the hair shaft is made up of an outer protective layer of protein called the cuticle. Under which is the melanin pigment. When the hair is bleached, the cuticle is disrupted and opens to expose the pigment for the bleaching process.
She further adds that when the cuticles do not close, these are the visible signs of damage caused by hair discoloration:
- Hair loses hydration and hydration, thus becoming brittle and dry
- Loses luster and shine
- Fly away broken hair is visible
- Hair gets tangled easily
However, while taking care of your damaged hair, you will have to be content with the fact that your hair will not get repaired overnight. You will have to be patient and wait for new hair growth as repairing hair after damage from bleach is difficult. But you can restore the smoothness of your hair with a few simple steps in mind that Dr. Madhu Chopra must share.
Expert tips for caring for bleached hair
- Choose a color-friendly shampoo and always check the chemical content first. Conditioning your hair is very important because it hydrates your hair and maintains your hair’s natural shine and luster.
- Use a good moisturizing hair mask every week to rebuild the damaged cuticle. You can use a homemade hair mask made from avocado, honey and egg white. Use it before washing your hair with shampoo.
- Heat can damage hair even more than it already is. Avoid heating tools as much as possible. If not, do not skip heat protection products before use and hair tools like tweezers, curling iron.
- Rinse your hair with rice water which contains inositol, which penetrates damaged hair and repairs hair and helps regain its shine.
- Avoid chlorinated water, for example, the swimming pool. Chlorine gives a greenish tinge to bleached hair
- Cut the hair regularly.
- Eat foods rich in Vitamin B5, Vitamin A and D, and Vitamin E in your diet, as they are proven to help your hair grow faster.
- Try to avoid completely bleaching your hair and if that’s not possible, bleach less frequently.
- Defend your hair from sun damage. Due to the discoloration, the hair already becomes vulnerable and the heat rays of the sun can damage the hair even more. Therefore, it is important to use an SPF spray or any other hair product that contains SPF.
- Keep your hair hydrated as much as possible to restore dry, frizzy hair, which is common for damaged hair from fading. You can massage your scalp with olive oil, coconut oil, argan oil, and almond oil. You can also use aloe vera as it contains moisturizing and anti-inflammatory properties which can heal damage to your hair as well as your scalp.